The Perseverance Of The Saints

 DaVinci's Virgin and Child With St Ann

Last night it was my turn to choose a saint for this coming year. In reading the name I had pulled from the basket, I found that not only does God have a sense of humor, but His saints do as well, more specifically, His earthly grandmother. That's right, St Ann has chosen to be my spiritual companion for a third consecutive year! This has to mean something. Either she has decided to become my permanent companion, or perhaps I have missed something important that she has been trying to teach me these last two years. In any case, she was good enough for Jesus and Mary, she is certainly good enough for me. I think I will adopt her as my spiritual grandmother.
On a more serious note, I have always felt that this great saint has much to teach me about motherhood. In my case it is spiritual motherhood. Those of you who know my story have heard the story of how I was given the name of my daughter in heaven while praying the Joyful Mysteries of the Rosary. Elizabeth Anne is named for Elizabeth, mother of John the Baptist and St Ann. So I also feel that having this humble woman as my companion is a good way to help me remember my daughter as well.
Given that St Ann has chosen me again, it may be time to put more tangible reminders of her in my life~ a picture, a small statue or perhaps a medal.
Thank you good St Ann for putting up with me and for praying for and guiding me for another year.

Comments

26Che said…
Hi!
I learned about your blog through Anne's Imprisoned in my bones.
I would love to have a saint to accompany me in 2012.
Can you please help me?
Thanks and God bless.
CWrites said…
I think she must love you much Karin! I like the picture, I mean, painting too.
Unknown said…
26Che,
I will choose a saint for you this evening when I get home. I sent a reply e-mail to the comment you left, but not sure about that n-reply address so if you do not receive the name of your saint by tomorrow, ask Anne for my e-mail and I will re-send it.

After the response I left to your comment yesterday, Colleen, I had to laugh when I saw dear St Ann's name on my little slip of paper for the third year in a row. Yes, she must really love me :)

Blessings to you both.
Mary N. said…
Lol! I love it, Karin! I knew you had her as your patron the past two years and I was actually thinking about this yesterday and wondering if you'd get her again. (I was reading the comment section on your blog yesterday and you mentioned that you hadn't got your saint yet.) It tickles me that God did this! I've always loved the way He gives us these little signs and pointers to help us and guide us! God is very good, isn't He? How you must have laughed when St. Ann picked you again! And thank you for telling us, too, because it brought a big smile to my face! Enjoy your time with this great saint. (And great she is! Imagine being Mary's mother and Jesus' grandmother? Wow!)
Unknown said…
Mary, am more than happy to share the story about this saint in my life for the past two years and now again. All of you who trust me choose a saint for you always share all of your stories, so I figured I would share mine. But yes I did laugh when I saw Jesus' grandma on that slip of paper yet again. I do believe she is trying to get more of my attention.
Glad the story brought a smile to your face :)
Unknown said…
Definitely a God-incidence, Colleen. We will see what she has planned for this year :)
Thanks for the hugs of joy!
noreen said…
You must have a special place in her heart Karin! I'm embarrassed to say that I really don't know much about St. Ann.

My patron saint for this new year is St. Margaret Clitherow. A new one for me!
Unknown said…
Thanks Noreen. St Ann's is a good heart to be in! :)
I have heard this St Margaret's name but don't know much about her. May she obtain many graces for you this year.