Sabbath Moments By the Falls

It has been awhile since I have joined friend and fellow blogger, Colleen for her Saturday meme Sabbath Moments. Since I have a rare Saturday off for the holiday weekend, I thought I would return for a visit. You can join Colleen each Saturday over at her blog Thoughts on Grace and share those moments when you have experienced God in the stillness.


Everyone should have a favorite spot in nature where you can sit awhile and enjoy God in His creation. Well this is mine.
It is a little corner of Rahway Park where the river leads to this mini waterfall. I love to come here and sit on the rocks. It is a great place to say rosary, read a book or just sit and listen to the roar of the water while contemplating God and His beautiful creation.

I ventured down to the falls two days after hurricane Irene. On Sunday when the storm hit, the river rose, covered the falls and then proceeded to rise and cover the bridge and roadway. This sacred spot is a five minute walk from my parish church, so on Tuesday after 7am Mass, I decided to take advantage of the cool, clear morning and walk there to see if I could get some pictures.
The waters had receded enough for me to sit for awhile and get some pictures. A duck or two even stayed long enough for me to get a picture while he primped his feathers.

It was hard to believe that only two days earlier this spot was impassable. The river was now calm and shone like glass reflecting the nearby trees. The falls still roared but now you could see them.
I live in a busy suburban town, but this little spot is God's gift to me and other residents away from all the noise and busyness.
Another fun fact about this spot~one of our priests says a sunrise Mass here every Easter Sunday.
 I thank God for this spot and the time I get to spend here with Him.

Comments

Mary N. said…
Karin,
Beautiful pictures! It must be nice to have a place like this to retreat to when it feels as if the noise of the world is too loud. I wish I could find a quiet, peaceful place like the river in your pictures to pray, read, and most of all...relax.
Unknown said…
Thanks Mary and Colleen. Yes I am truly blessed to have this little spot to enjoy.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. It looks like a lovely place to go to get away from the noise and bustle of daily life.
Unknown said…
It sure is Barbara. Thanks for stopping by and God bless.