Our Lady Praying With Us And For Us



As I was reading through some articles on the history of Lourdes and today's feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, I came across a part of the story I never heard or didn't remember. During the first apparition on February 11, 1858, Bernadette takes out her rosary and begins to pray at the sight of the beautiful lady she sees in the grotto. However as she goes to make the Sign of the Cross she is unable to do so until Our Lady does so herself. Bernadette begins to say the Rosary with Our Lady, who only prays the Gloria along with her.
When I read this, I thought: "Imagine actually praying the Rosary with our Blessed Mother!" No sooner than the second I had that thought, I realized that each time I pick up my rosary to pray this beautiful prayer, I am praying  not only to Our Lady but with her. I do believe that just as she prayed along with Bernadette that day in the grotto, she prays with us and for us wherever our own grottoes may be.
I find this such a comforting thought.
As for why Mary only prayed the Gloria, I can only surmise it was because of her deep humility, never drawing attention to herself, but always reflecting the glory of the Father who found great favor with her, the Son whom she bore and loves and who loves her more and better than anyone can, and the Holy Spirit who is her Divine Spouse.
So the next time you reach for your beads and begin to pray, remember Our Lady is right there with you following along on her own heavenly rosary beads.

Prayer To Our Lady of Lourdes
O ever Immaculate Virgin, Mother of Mercy, health of the sick, refuge of sinners, comforter of the afflicted, you know my wants, my troubles, my sufferings; look with mercy upon me. By appearing in the Grotto of Lourdes, you were pleased to make it a privileged sanctuary, whence you dispense your favors; and already many sufferers have obtained the cure of their infirmities, both spiritual and corporal. I come, therefore, with complete confidence to implore your maternal intercession. Obtain, O loving Mother, the grant of my requests. Through gratitude for your favors, I will endeavor to imitate your virtues, that I may one day share your glory. Amen.

Comments

Mary N. said…
Our Lady praying with us - what a consoling thought! It's a blessing to know we have such a powerful intercessor. I believe she prays with us too :) Great post, Karin!