Visitations

Tissot's: The Visitation

I love the scene of Mary's visit to her cousin Elizabeth. I love it for the charity it displays in Mary forgetting herself and rushing to her cousin's side. I also love the joy displayed by these two women, both expecting a child at an unexpected time in their lives.
Today's feast of the Visitation also holds great meaning for me personally. It was eight years ago on this day that I accepted Christ's invitation to return to Him. As the years go by and I reflect on this invitation, I see that Our Lady had a great deal to do with my accepting that invitation from her Son, but her visitation was a subtle one because I think she knew I would be "scared off" by anything too strong.
In those initial days after saying yes, I found myself praying the Rosary quite often. I found strength and comfort in it, I still do. Eventually it was as if I heard her say to me, "Let my Son heal you." It would be three more months before I would find the courage to accept that invitation.
When I finally did find the courage to seek healing, this Biblical scene of the Visitation would again play a role. When I made the call to register for a Rachel's Vineyard retreat, I was told that part of the healing process would be that I would name the child I had aborted. All I could think was that I have no idea if this child was a girl or boy. I was praying the Joyful Mysteries, the Visitation to be precise, when the name Elizabeth Anne seemed to fall from the sky. Yet again Our Lady obtained  the grace I needed.
As the years progress and my healing continues, Mary continues to hasten to my side in the soft and subtle manner in which I have become accustomed . She continues to bring her Son to me and me to her Son. I have taken her motherly advice and allowed her Son to heal me, and in doing so, the child I once allowed to die is now alive and leaps within my heart and soul.

Comments

Anne said…
So moving! Congratulations on the anniversary of your return to the church and most of all, thank you so much for sharing this story! You are an angel united to your angel in heaven and are doing so much good in this world! I am so very glad to be touched by your life and your words!
Unknown said…
Anne,
Thanks for the congratulations, but that is all God's grace. Thank you too for your beautiful comments- I know that it is greatly due to her prayers that I am where I am today.
God Bless!
Unknown said…
Colleen,
Glad you are back. Thanks for your kind comments.
Hugs & Blessings!