The Annunciation: A Meditation

I wrote the following meditation for a prayer meeting. I thought I would share it here. The meditation is based on the Annunciation in Luke 1:26~38.

An Intimate and Insightful Moment With Mary
A young Jewish girl named Mary is asleep in her room. She is awakened by a bright light. This light she finds out is from one of God's angels. This angel's name is Gabriel and he has a message for this young girl. Gabriel addresses Mary as "full of grace". He sees that she is startled and a bit frightened, but tells her not to be afraid for God has found favor with her, hence the reason for his strange greeting. Yes, God has found favor with Mary, so much so that He has chosen her to be the mother of His only Son!
Now Mary is confused because she has never been with a man; how could it be that she will become a mother? Well, Gabriel explains all of that to her as well.
Now this angel must await Mary's reply. It was probably only the briefest of moments, but one in which all of heaven and earth held its breath!
Once Mary understood this was all from God, she immediately gave her consent, "Let it be done to me according to your word." She said yes!
These 15 or so years of Mary's young life have led to this one incredible moment. A moment and a "yes" that would change Mary's life. This baby, Jesus, the Son of God, would not only change Mary's life, but ours as well.
Prayer
Dear Jesus,
Your Mother had the courage to say yes to God's will putting aside her own. How often You ask me to bear You to my little part of the world and how often to I shrink away in fear and lack of trust.
Give me the heart of Mary, a heart that surrenders to Your every prompting. Help me to remember always, that I am Your handmaid, Your lowly servant, so that I may give my consent for You to be conceived in my heart and soul and be born into my little part of the world.
Let me heed the angel's voice and not be afraid knowing that You will send Your Holy Spirit and Your power will overshadow me in all You call me to do.
Amen.

Comments

Anne said…
I love the picture! Yes, I also want Jesus to be conceived in my heart and soul. Thank you Karinann for this lovely prayer.

Thanks too for putting the link to the teen Vocation site on your blog! You rock!
Unknown said…
Glad you liked the meditation, ladies.
Anne, you are welcome for the link; like I said-don't know why I didn't think of it before this. Those guys do a great job with the site~They're the one who rock!