St Margaret Mary Alacoque~Saint of the Sacred Heart

"He has given me to understand that His Sacred Heart is the Holy of Holies, the very sanctuary of love. He wishes that It now be recognized as the Mediator between God and men. He is all~powerful to bring them peace, turning aside the just punishments our sins have drawn upon us and obtaining mercy for us."
~St Margaret Mary Alacoque: Letter 36

One of the very first lives of the saints I read was that of St Margaret Mary Alacoque whose feast day we celebrate today. Our Lord revealed to her the secrets of His Sacred Heart, and it is through her that the promises of Our Lord to those who keep this devotion were shared.
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus is something that I felt completely drawn to from the very beginnings of my reversion. I somehow feel Our Lord, knowing all that would happen on my road back to Him, put this devotion into my heart and soul so that I would recognize and return to His Heart as the safe refuge that it is.
I, once again, credit the good Sisters of St Joseph as well. When I was attending Catholic grammar school, the entire school grades 3 through 8 would attend First Friday Mass. While I attend Mass daily for the most part, First Friday is one that I never miss unless circumstances arise that make it impossible to get there. But here again I believe Our Lord is at work because in 7 years I think I have only missed a First Friday Mass once or twice. Trust me, that has nothing to do with me or my discipline; it has everything to do with His grace!
I recommend St Margaret Mary's autobiography as well as her letters.
What follows is the Meditation for the Day from Magnificat; it is taken from this saint's writings.

You could find no surer bond... to draw me into a more intimate union with your charity than to love the Sacred Heart of our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not doubt that the sacrifice which you want to make of yourself to him so that you may be wholly his, to do and suffer everything for his love, so that you may be able to live completely unto him according to his desires-I do not doubt, I say, that this sacrifice is very pleasing to him. It is a life of sacrifice, of abandonment, and of love.Of sacrifice of all that is most dear to you and of what will cost you the most. Of complete abandonment of yourself to his loving care, taking him as your guide on the way of salvation. You will do nothing unless you ask him for the help of his grace. And I am sure he will give you the measure in which you trust him. Moreover, we must live the life of love. By our humble submission, and complete self-effacement it will unite us with him and make us altogether like him in his life of sacrifice, abandonment and love in the Blessed Sacrament. Love keeps him there as a victim completely and perpetually delivered over to sacrifice for the glory of his Father and for our salvation. Unite yourself with him then, in all that you do. Refer everything to his glory. Set up your abode in this loving Heart of Jesus and you will there find lasting peace and the strength both to bring to fruition all the good desires he inspires in you, and to avoid every deliberate fault. Place in this Heart all your sufferings and difficulties. Everything that comes from the Sacred Heart is sweet. He changes everything into love.


Heavenly Father,
Through the intercession of St Margaret Mary, may I be drawn closer and deeper into that safe refuge of Your Beloved Son's Sacred Heart. May I enter through that most Sacred Wound in His Heart where I will find lasting peace, love and mercy.
May my name be forever written in His heart and may He find His written in mine; poor and cold that it is, but made softer and warmer by His Presence. I ask this in Jesus' name.
Amen.


Related Links:

The 12 Promises
Life of the Saint

Comments

Anne said…
Karinann, this is beautiful! "Everything that comes from the Sacred Heart is sweet. He changes everything into love." Thank you so much for sharing this. I love your prayer too!
Unknown said…
Thank you, Anne.He changes them and makes all things new!
Mary N. said…
Karinann,
Thank you. This is beautiful and so is your prayer. I place myself in His Heart every day. This is my life, this is where I live.
Karinann, I don't know why I'm having a hard time posting a comment. I tried the other day on one of your posts and finally gave up. I'm sure it must be the system or my computer.

Anyway, another beautiful post. Thank you! My dad said he should've named me Stephanie because I was born on St. Stephen's feast day. But he named me Mary Margaret. We love the Sacred Heart Devotion, for me one of the most wonderful. Thank you again for this and the others I'm reading, but always can't comment on!
Hugs!
Unknown said…
Heartfelt,
Sorry you are having trouble with comments, but glad you are visiting.
Hugs back :)