The Feast of the Transfiguration

The Transfiguration of Christ: Titian

Today the Church celebrates the Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ. Chapter 17 of St. Matthew's Gospel tells us that Jesus took Peter, James and John up to the top of the mountain and once there, with Moses and Elijah on either side of Him, showed them His glory. As if that wasn't enough, the Father is heard from an overshadowing cloud saying that Jesus is His beloved Son in whom He is well pleased and they should listen to Him.
I often wonder what was going through these Apostles mind on the way up that mountain. I somehow don't think they expected anything close to the events that transpired in those few moments.
And what about on the way down? Jesus spoke to them; told them not to speak of this until after the Resurrection. I wonder if they heard anything our Lord was saying on that trip down Mt. Tabor, or did they walk down still caught up in the splendor of what they had just witnessed.
What about me? Jesus reveals Himself to me in numerous ways. He doesn't necessarily bring me to a mountain top, but rather shows me His glory in the sacraments, in creation, in Scripture. Our Heavenly Father speaks the same words to me that He spoke to those three awestruck Apostles, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased; listen to Him."
This feast is a reminder to me to heed those words, repent for the times I don't listen, and to be aware, alert and attentive to all the ways Jesus shows me his glory on any given day.
My Dear Lord Jesus,
Open the eyes of my soul to the splendor of Your glory. Reveal Yourself to me however You see fit. You are the embodiment of God's love freely given. Let me follow You always in the day to day of living my life. Be glorified in me, my Lord. May the light of Your glory shine forth and guide me to that place You have prepared for me where I will live forever in You.

Amen.

Comments

Anne said…
Karinann, this is a beautiful prayer. Open the eyes of my soul. Of all the feast days, I love the mystery and power in this one, I want to be transfigured too!
Judy Dudich said…
This theme of "being attentive" keeps being place in my midst this week.
Thanks for being among those through whom God wishes to speak to me Karinann:)
Linda said…
Amen! Beautiful post.
No, I don't think that the apostles had any idea what was in store for them! Likewise, neither do we! God's surprises are far beyond our ability to imagine!
Gabriella said…
Beautiful post ... and very beautiful prayer :)
I'm a couple of days late for the Transfiguration, and I wish I wasn't! This is a great post, and the prayer is simply beautiful. Thank you.