Prayer For Priests This Pentecost

The Church celebrates the feast of Pentecost today; it is the day the Holy Spirit came upon all those gathered in the Upper Room after the Ascension of our Lord. We too, have received the Holy Spirit. Part of accepting this gift is listening to the promptings of this Spirit of God within us and then following through on what we hear. No, this is not a theology or catechesis post as I am not qualified to speak that way. It is simply a post that illustrates how I have heard and felt the promptings of the Holy Spirit in regard to a very specific intention, that of praying for our priests.
Several weeks ago after reading a post on Fr. Mark's blog, Vultus Christi, I began doing as Father suggested and offer a holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament offering prayer and reparation for priests. Since then, this intention has been weighing even more heavily on my heart. Those of you who read this blog know I have written several posts on the importance of praying for priests.
I have found the Holy Spirit to be relentless in this area, and with good reason; our priests need our prayers now more than ever.
Yesterday while I briefly stopped by Twitter, there was a tweet from Adoro, whose tweets I follow, on this topic of praying for priests. We exchanged one or 2 tweets and that was that ~ or so I thought. After I received her reply tweet, I had wanted to ask her about resources for ways to offer prayer for priests, but I was distracted and left Twitterland for that day.
This morning I was skimming through my Google Reader and came upon this post by Adoro. It links to a site titled Priests in Crisis. Today's post on that site is the story of Fr. Gordon MacRae who is serving a 33 year prison sentence for a crime he did not commit. You can read
Fr. Mac Rae's story here or link to it through Adoro's post. If you feel moved to do so, you can leave father a note of encouragement and prayer in the comment box of the site.
I bring all of this to your attention to reiterate my plea of past posts to pray for our priests. We need them desperately and they need us!
This was a bittersweet God Moment for me; on the one hand I am always amazed and overjoyed by how God speaks to and within me, but today it came in the heart-wrenching story of a priest in need.
So let us entrust our priests, especially those who may be in crisis of any kind, to our Blessed Mother who will bring them to her Son.

Comments