How Do I Trust Thee?


My Dear Lord Jesus,
You have told me to come to You; I who am weary and burdened. You will give me rest. You tell me to trust in You completely. I know that all You tell me is true. I can and should trust You completely in everything; the small things as well as the big things. I say that I trust You, but what exactly do I mean by those words? Do I mean that I trust You to do as I will; have the outcome of a given situation be as I wish? When I look closely and honestly, that is probably what my idea of trust in You means. But I do know better.
I know that trusting You is to trust that You care deeply for me, and my desire should be that the outcome of any situation be according to Your will not mine. I know that I need to trust that when I cooperate with Your grace, have done all that You ask me to do, I can rest and leave the outcome of things in Your hands. They may not be what I had in mind, but I know and must accept that what You had in mind and have permitted is for the best; for my salvation and Your glory.
Yes, my Lord, I know all of this; yet I still struggle and strive to put more trust in myself and less in You. My actions say I know best.
You have shown me in so many ways, Your Providence all throughout my life. Even when I left You; You never left me. So why do I struggle as I do with this all important aspect of our relationship?
It seems to me, when I really stop to think about what it means to trust~ sacrifice is involved. I need to give up control; I need to surrender. Humility is also required. I have to admit that I am totally dependent on You; I can do nothing good without You.
So my Lord, I pray: Grant me the grace to surrender myself to You completely with all humility. Make me more like You, meek and humble of heart so that I may not only say that I trust You, but act as though I do as well. For when I am finally able to trust You completely in everything at every moment, only then will I find Your peace. May I not put my trust in myself or any creature but in You alone.

*This post is written in response to a series by Michelle at She Looketh Well. Stop by her blog and read her thought provoking posts on trust.

Comments

Hi Kariann, I printed this up this morning and read it at our devotional time. Thank you for commenting and linking back to my blog.

I loved what you wrote! You are a blessing, Have a lovely night!
Michelle